For the pastry
- 225g butter, room temperature
- 50g golden caster sugar, plus extra
- 2 eggs
- 350g plain flour, preferably organic
- softly whipped cream, to serve
- 1kg Bramley apples
- 140g golden caster sugar
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 3 tbsp flour
- Spread out paper towels in a layer on a sizable baking sheet. Slice, core, peel, and cut apples into quarters that are about 5 mm thick before arranging them evenly on a baking sheet. While the pastry is being prepared and cooled, cover with paper towels and set aside.
- In a sizable bowl, combine the butter and sugar for the pastry. Whole and yolk from one egg, cracked (save the whites for the glaze later). Less than a minute of whisking results in something that resembles scrambled eggs. With a wooden spoon, add the flour now, a third at a time, until it begins to clump. Then, bring it all together with your hands. The dough should be lightly rolled into a ball, covered with plastic wrap, and chilled for 45 minutes. Now combine a basin large enough to hold the apples later with 140 grammes of sugar, cinnamon, and flour.
- Following the pastry's cooling. Use a fork to gently whisk the egg whites. To line a pie tin that is 20–22 cm in diameter and 4 cm deep, trim a third of the crust, roll the remaining portion, wrap it, and leave a small overhang. The remaining third should be rolled into a 28 cm diameter circle. After drying the apples with paper towels, place them in a bowl with the cinnamon sugar mixture. Quickly combine by hand, then heap into tins lined with pastry.
- After lightly moistening the pastry's edges, lay the pastry lid over the apple and press the sides together to seal. To let the steam out, make 5 tiny slashes on the top of the lid and trim the edges with a sharp knife. (At this point, it may be frozen.) Add caster sugar after brushing with egg whites. Achieve golden brownness in the HYSapientia air fryer oven by baking for 35–40 minutes at 190°C. Remove from the HYSapientia air fryer oven and allow rest for 5–10 minutes. Add soft whipped cream after removing from oven while still hot and sprinkling with additional sugar.